Friday, June 26

Ultimate Road Trip Mix CD

I'm headed out to the Middle of Nowhere KS this weekend so to help get me there, I set out today to make the most awesome road-trip mix cd the world has ever heard. I believe I have achieved a nirvana-like success (not the band, but rather the beatitude that transcends the cycle of reincarnation, ya know.) My list had to include songs that were good for the ROAD, not just good in general.



1. That usually means that they are from the classic rock genre. Because let's face it, when these songs came out people had 8-track players in their cars and engines bigger and louder than a robot playing a pink electric guitar - so the music had to be rockin enough to hear above the roar of these beasty machines.
2. This also means that the songs had to have a good rhythm and lyrics. This also fits most classic rock songs.
3. Songs about cars, traveling, or summertime are a must as well. Some songs, The Mamas & The Papas "California Dreamin'", "Keys to the Hovercar" by Andy McKee, The Beatles' "Ticket To Ride", and "Lowrider" by War unfortunately did not make the cut.
4. Has to be fun to sing to. And I have to know the lyrics to it. Both have to happen.

Here is the list that I came up with, let this ear candy give you brain cavities:
"Born To Be Wild" - Steppenwolf - This has got to be the ultimate road trip song.
"Hot Rod Lincoln" - Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen - Song about a car going really fast, with an awesome bass line? You bet it made the list.
"The Boys of Summer" - The Ataris - I know Don Henley sang the original, but this newer version really lends itself to be a road trip worthy song. Newer rock riffs and less pop strums is why it makes the cut. Plus it has the word "Summer" in the title.
"Takin' Care of Business" - Bachman Turner Overdrive - TCB by BTO just a flat-out sweet song for the road
"Radar Love" - Golden Earring - Their only hit. Maybe the only song they ever wrote. Quality over quantity.
"Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd - This song is SO over played and very predictable to make this list, hence it made the list.
"Here I Go Again On My Own" - Whitesnake - Epic song. Great one to sing along to. A nice break in the midst of so many thunderous classics.
"Summer of '69" - Bryan Adams - Had to make it. Such a sweet ballad. Not to mention "Summer" is in the title. It just had to be. Also, the beginning has to be played very loud.
"The Boys Are Back In Town" - Thin Lizzy - Fun to sing echo on this one. I think these cats are great.
"Crazy On You" - Heart - One of the few bands I can stand that is fronted by a woman. Awesome beginning, awesome chorus, awesome guitar licks.
"Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" - Journey - One of my all-time favorite songs. Amazing from beginning to end. Also have to play this one loud at the beginning. I am a synthesizer sympathizer at heart.
"Foreplay/Long Time" - Boston - A 7:50 song wouldn't normally make a list like this, but how can you not have it make the cut? Such a classic song and the best intro to any song all-time. Yep, just said it.
"Hungry Like The Wolf" - Duran Duran - The "Do-do-dos" of the bridge are perfect for the road. This one barely made the cut, but its classic, has good rhythm, and is fun to sing to.
"Cold As Ice" - Foreigner - One of my favorite bands ever. The beginning is stellar. Although it is a bit slower, it still has opportunity for some good air guitar and air drum parts.
"Rock You Like A Hurricane" - Scorpions - Do I even need to explain this one? Didn't think so.
"Sink Hole" - Drive By Truckers - A fun song to sing along to and has excellent rhythm. Not classic rock, but has that same feeling. Great for crusin'!
"Bad To The Bone" - George Thorogood - BBBBBBBB-Awesome song! Another epic tune (and predictable list-maker).
"Cold Hard B***h" - Jet - Yes mom, this song has a bad word in the title. I'm sorry. Its about this female dog that get frozen stiff... Jet has a sweet classic rock sound and feel to many of their songs and this one is one of those that fits the bill.

Road Trippin' Vol. 1 has been set. Feel free to let me know if I missed an obvious song, but I'm pretty sure I did not. Maybe a Vol. 2 could happen with some less classic rock and some more newer songs, doubt it.

PS - RIP the biggest Thriller of all time.

3 comments:

luke said...

that's a great cd that can take you through the most boring of drives (ie western kansas).

i think "radar love" is perhaps the greatest road trip song of all time. kudos.

Aubrey said...

"Here I Go Again On My Own" will always and forever remind me of Will Ferrell. This means you have to see Old School if you have not already.

I'm really glad Heart made your list, because as long as you appreciate the occasional front-woman, the Garamondsters can still exist.

A couple I would have put on the list: "Free Ride" by the Edgar Winter Group and literally anything by the Steve Miller Band. This is an epic list with or without my additions. You are full of win, my friend.

Stephen said...

@Aubrey - When I had a tape deck in my truck I had 2 tapes: Aerosmith's Greatest Hits and Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits. I am embarrassed that I left BOTH of these bands off the cd.