Friday, February 20

Betchya Didn't Know (pt. 3 of 5)

(This is part 2 of a 5 part series of getting to know little known facts about me - some of these you may already know)
I have a defective thumb
I am right-handed, and of course it is on my right hand (the picture below is opposite because it was taken on my mac). It is short and fat and I don't know what caused it. Could be because I sucked my thumb until I was about 5, but I have talked to other people who have sucked their thumbs and they don't seem to have any abnormalities. I have no other explanation.



Let's take a look at the pros:
*Girls/Attention - They think it is 'cute' and want me to show it to their friends upon discovering it. I get lots of 'oohs' and 'awwws', its pretty great.

Now the cons:
*Bowling - Makes it impossible because the only bowling balls that it will work with are either 138 lbs or are made for some huge dude and have the fingers spread too far apart. As the game goes on, my thumb gets sweaty and makes a popping sound every time I release the ball (pop!)
*Gripping while wearing gloves - It is often difficult to grip things while wearing gloves anyways... now I have a gap at the top of my thumb that is floppy and gets stuck in places or makes things slippery because I can't grip them like I should be able to.
*Head's Up 7 Up - I was rarely chosen during this game because my stubby thumb is so short when it stands up that people would say that they didn't know whether it was up or down.
*Sideshow attraction - When someone knows that I have this thumb, they want to show everyone they know. Sometimes this is fun, it really is, sometimes I'd just rather not.

As you can see, there are more cons than pros. This may upset some people, not me though; I really like my thumb and plan on keeping it. Forever.

4 comments:

Stephen said...

Another con: thumb wresting.

Alison said...

That is something I didn't know about you! How different!

Matt Davidson said...

yea, you wouldn't get very far hitchhiking. Neither would I, but for different reasons.

Elizabeth Jorgenson [creative] said...

The pinky on my left hand is shorter and not as thin and the one on my right...

But I can blame my sister's attitude on that one. She shut the car door on my hand when I was little and I'm pretty sure that broke a growth plate in my finger. (it made playing the piano ridiculously difficult)

SO what I'm really trying to get at.... ever smash your thumb really bad? I bet that is it.

fo sho.