Thursday, April 16

Rant - Baby Names

Ok, this has bothered me for quite some time now and I have to let it out: Baby Names.

This does not revolve around people who name their kids off the wall names like Scout, Shauntrellutaun, Chaqueffa, Moonbeam, or Rodney. No. I'm talking about when people name their child something so that they can call them a nickname of that name.



Example time: Naming a girl Elanor so that you can call her "Elle". Here's a bright idea, just name her Elle. If that is what you want to call her, then name her that!

I don't mind people naming their child something like Charles and calling him Chuck, Charlie, or Chaz. But by all means don't name him Charles so that you can call him Chuckie - just name him Chuckie. Deal?

Example time 2: My brother's name is Samuel. Everyone calls him Sam. My parents named him Samuel, but not with the intention of calling him Sam, Sammy, Shlamenskee, Samantha, or Goober. Although all of these names are used for him, this is not why he was named Samuel.

I do understand naming a child something that gives them the option to go by a shortened version when they are older (Gregory -> Greg, James -> Jim, Michael -> Mike) rather than giving them a fixed name (Ryan, Brent, Jason, or Scott). This makes sense to me.

However, I just do not understand this logic (or lack of) when naming a child. If the opportunity presents itself to call your child a certain nickname then feel free to take it, but please do not name your child a name so that you can call them by a nickname of that name.

ALSO: What's up with naming kids old people names? Why are Emma, Elanor, Josephine, William, Evelyn and Velma so popular? You are just asking for your kid to be a 90 year old in a 3 year old's body.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Okay, Stephen, now we have had this conversation before and I am obviously biased :) See, my parents wanted to call me Ali but gave me Alison so I would have that choice as well because if they named me Ali, I wouldn't have any choice at all. And it does come in handy for school and work. I always go by Alison in school and when meeting people for work, I go by Alison. Sooooooooo.... you said that if they named you a longer name and wanted you to have the option of a shorter name as well that makes sense, so doesn't it make sense that I have the option of a longer one??? Hahaha, now there's MY rant back to you!

Stephen said...

Dear Ali(son),
It is because of people like your parents that I have written this rant. You like to go by Ali, and you prefer to be called Ali, so why even have the option of "Alison" if you only ever go by Ali (sure you introduce yourself as 'Alison', but eventually tell that person that they can call you 'Ali' am I right?) Why even have this choice especially if your parents want to call you Ali?
They should have just named you Ali if their intention was to only refer to you as Ali.
Silly Wilkins family :)

Alison said...

Dear Steph(en),
I do actually go by Alison in all of classes with my teachers and with all other business people that do not know me on a personal level. I consider it my "business" name. I would say it's about 50/50 on who calls me what on a daily basis, so THERE! :)