Thursday, January 22

Betchya Didn't Know (pt. 1 of 5)

(This is part 1 of a 5 part series of getting to know little known facts about me - some of these you may already know, some you may not)
I take side streets
If you have never had the privilege of going on a ride with me, well then you're missing out. You will no doubt see parts of the city/countryside that you never knew existed. Now, you may argue that it might take me longer to get from A to B, that I can't drive as fast, or that the streets are too narrow to be purposely driving on them. Well I say to you Mr. Naysayer, "yea, I will indeed continue in my quest of taking side streets."
I do this for 2 distinct reasons:
1. I always, always, ALWAYS get stuck at red lights - ALWAYS (Paige can testify). If you have ever been in the vehicle with me you will understand where I am coming from. I often have many things going on and quickly need to get from here to there in a relatively short amount of time and I swear that the stop lights of the world have a conspiracy against me getting anywhere without having to stop, its true. So to counter their plot I simply avoid them. I take side streets so that I don't have to interact with the stupid Red-Light Army that is out to get me.
2. I seek adventure, exploration, and oddities. I love discovering things. I do this wherever I am, not always intentionally, but usually this is true. This past summer I earned the nickname 'Adventure Steve' because of how I was always wondering off and exploring the new places we were at (Plus I even own a pair of adventure shoes!). I take side streets so that I can discover the rawness of the place I'm going through. I also love things that are odd and out of the ordinary. As a kid I was totally into Ripley's Believe It or Not and things of the sort. And I still enjoy stumbling upon weird and unusual things - and how could you do that if you stayed on the main road the whole time? You couldn't. You just couldn't. I mean think of where all of the weird stories that you hear in the news take place...not in the main cities, they always take place in strange, off-the-beaten path places. Yes, it may take longer. Yes, it may seem silly. Yes, I may have to stop way more often for squirrels, children, or little old ladies - but these are small sacrifices when it comes to the opportunity for exploration.
Now you know.

2 comments:

R.W. Shipshape said...

1) I had a crush on the host of Ripley's Believe It or Not in middle school (Dean Cain)
2) I, too, have strapped toilet paper to my head in desperate situations.
3) That little old lady is a badazz.

According to my genius friend's calculations:
Under normal conditions and if a car travels 34 miles per hour, it can make all the way down Anderson without being stopped by a red light.

~LB said...

I think you are one funny guy so glad we're friends