Friday, January 30

Betchya Didn't Know (pt. 2 of 5)

(This is part 2 of a 5 part series of getting to know little known facts about me - some of these you may already know, some you may not)
I listen to (and LOVE) funny/parody music
I do. It may not be kosher with today's class of males 23ish...but I can't help it. The obsession began one Christmas when I was given both a Ray Stevens Music VHS and a set of 3 cassette tapes (yes, cassette tapes and a VHS, ok?) that were chalked full of silly songs; like "Disco Duck", "Monster Mash", "Mississippi Squirrel Revival", "Boy Named Sue", and "Yakety Yak". My dad then introduced me to Weird Al and also Dr. Demento (much to my mom's dismay) - and the rest is history.

I would go around singing these ridiculous song all the time. I would constantly be asking my friends about these songs, not realizing that it was a little odd for a 5th grader to know the lyrics to "Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda". Naturally, my very first concert was Weird Al, at the Cotillion in Wichita. He had just released his album, "Running With Scissors" (one of 7 Weird Al albums I have) where the hit song was "Saga Begins" a parody of the famous "American Pie" by Don McLean. There are many songs that I cannot listen to thanks to these parodies that I filled my head with as a child. Here are some examples:
*Queen "Another One Bits The Dust" - Weird Al "Another One Rides The Bus"
*Offspring "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" - Weird Al "Pretty Fly for a Rabbi"
*Michael Jackson "Bad" - Weird Al "Fat"
*Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under The Bridge" & "Give It Away" - Weird Al "Bed Rock Anthem"

How can you not be inspired by the creative, nerdy lyrics from Weird Al's song "All About The Pentiums" (parody of "All About The Benjamins"):
    Hey fella, I bet you're still livin' in your parents' cellar
    Downloadin' pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar
    And postin' "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er
    I should do the world a favor and cap you like Old Yella'
    You're just about as useless as jpegs to Hellen Keller!


Other musical parody influences include Spike Jones, Dr. Demento, Ray Stevens (whom I have also seen in concert), and of course Bob Rivers (Christmas parodies: "Walkin' 'Round in Womens' Underwear", "I am Santa Claus", "Chipmunks Roasting On An Open Fire", and "Buttcracker Suite")

The introduction to this music lead to my love of '80s slap-stick farce movies like "Airplane!", "Hot Shots", "Space Balls" & "Blazing Saddles" (just about any Mel Brooks really). Not to mention my love for any and all "Monty Python", "Three Stooges", and "Marx Brothers" movies, skits, and songs.

All of this off-the-wall humor and sarcasm has definitely played an important role in allowing me to be creative and think outside of the box when it comes to graphic design. It keeps me on my toes and for some strange reason, I can't ever get enough of it. Thanks dad!

Now you know.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I think my favorite Wierd Al song is Albuquerque. haha

Alison said...

I love Christmas parodies, for sure! And Mel Brooks is a comic genius :)